Accessibility Tools

X-ray seminar

Seminarium Rentgenowskie Hybrydowo

Laser modification of nanomaterials: from ablation to phase transitions

07-02-2023 10:30 - 11:30
Venue
Instytut Fizyki PAN, Warszawa
Email
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Speaker
dr I. Milov
Affiliation
Advanced Research Center for Nanolithography (ARCNL) Amsterdam, Netherlands; Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY, Hamburg, Germany

Intensive ultrashort lasers have become effective tools that are used to modify optical, mechanical and chemical properties of materials at the surface and in the bulk. Examples include applications in catalysis, photonics, and biomedicine. Alternatively, apart from such controlled and desired altering of material properties, intensive lasers may cause unwanted material damage. It is crucial to avoid such laser-induced damage, for example, in optical elements such as lenses, mirrors or transmission filters at various laser facilities such as EUV and X-ray free electron lasers.

In this work, we investigate the mechanisms of femtosecond laser interaction with metal thin films, with the main focus on ruthenium as a material used as grazing incidence mirror in EUV and X-ray optics [1]. We analyze damage experiments performed with various light sources ranging from optical lasers to EUV and hard X-ray free-electron lasers, finding a surprising similarity in damage crater morphology [2]. Our experimental studies are combined with theoretical modelling of laser-induced processes to explain the observed phenomena. For that, we developed a hybrid model based on Monte Carlo, two-temperature model, and molecular dynamics techniques. Additionally, we explore a topic of ultrafast laser-induced phase transitions in metals and the interplay of thermal and non-thermal effects in such transitions [3].

[1] I. Milov, V. Zhakhovsky, D. Ilnitsky, K. Migdal, V. Khokhlov, Yu. Petrov, N. Inogamov, V. Lipp, N. Medvedev, B. Ziaja, V. Medvedev, I. Makhotkin, E. Louis, F. Bijkerk, Two-level ablation and damage morphology of Ru films under femtosecond extreme UV irradiation , Appl. Surf. Sci. 528, 146952 (2020)
[2] I. Milov, V. Lipp, D. Ilnitsky, N. Medvedev, K. Migdal, V. Zhakhovsky, V. Khokhlov, Yu. Petrov, N. Inogamov, S. Semin, A. Kimel, B. Ziaja, I. Makhotkin, E. Louis, F. Bijkerk, Similarity in ruthenium damage induced by photons with different energies: From visible light to hard X-rays , Appl. Surf. Sci. 501, 143973 (2020)
[3] N. Medvedev, I. Milov, Nonthermal phase transitions in metals , Sci. Rep. 10(1), 1-9 (2020)

List of Dates (Page event details)

• 07-02-2023 10:30 - 11:30
Save
Cookies user preferences
We use cookies to ensure you to get the best experience on our website. If you decline the use of cookies, this website may not function as expected.
Accept all
Decline all
Read more
Essential
Essential cookies
These cookies are necessary for the correct operation of the website and therefore cannot be disabled on this level; the use of these cookies does not involve the processing of personal data. While you can disable them via your browser settings, doing so may prevent the website from working normally.
Accept
Analytical cookies
These cookies are particularly intended to enable the website administrator to monitor the website traffic statistics, as well as the sources of traffic. Such data is typically collected anonymously.
Google Analytics
Accept
Decline