INSTITUTE of PHYSICS PAS
International PhD Studies
International PhD Studies at IP PAS
In order to be admitted to the Graduate Studies the applicant must successfully pass the qualification interview.
In 2017 the interviews will be held on
June27th and September 12th-13th
(Applications before June 23th and September 8th, respectively)
Enquiry: PDF, DOC
The following documents should be submitted prior to the interview:
1. A University diploma or certified duplicate (not just a photocopy) inclusive
of the academic record
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Letter of recommendation from the supervisor of the Master Degree thesis
4. 3 photos (1 photo of size 4,5x6,5cm, 2 photos of size 3,5x4,5cm)
5. Application to the Director of this Institute
6. Filled enquiry (załącznik)
7. A photocopy of the passport (for non-Polish citizens)
Copies of the documents can also be sent to the address email@example.com
(in this case the original documents with photographs should be submitted to the office
of PhD studies on interview day).
After determining the number of candidates the hours of interviews are set. We inform candidates about the interview schedule by e-mail. Interviews are held at the Institute
of Physics - Al. Lotników 32/46.
Candidates can obtain detailed information from the office of the International PhD Studies located at the Institute of Physics, Polish Academy of Sciences,
Al. Lotników 32/46, 02-668 Warsaw, room 207, second floor.
Tel: (48-22) 843-70-01 ext. 2122 or (48-22) 843-25-09, firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The PhD Studies at the Institute start on the 1st of October. Usually there are two dates for qualification interviews which are announced well in advance on this web page where the set of necessary documents is listed. We accept electronic copies of documents, however the originals must be delivered on the day of interview. The most important document is the certified university diploma together with the academic record. According to Polish law, we can only accept those candidates who have obtained a Master of Science degree or equivalent. Candidates who have diplomas from outside Poland should contact the Head of the International PhD Studies before making their application (email@example.com).
2. The admission committee selected by the Director of the Institute will interview a candidate. The applicant, should present a short (10 min at most) presentation related to the main results of her/his MSc thesis. The candidate will be also asked several questions concerning the thesis and general physics. The applicant should be present at the interview at the Institute, however the interview in a form of the internet conference is also possible. This kind of the interview is allowed in exceptional cases with approval from the Director but should be well motivated and the Institute certainly will not accept it as a rule.
3. The Institute will help with visa matters and will issue the necessary documents. Unfortunately due to financial reasons the Institute cannot cover the travel and other expenses related to qualification interviews.
Acceptance and financial support.
1. The final acceptance of a student is decided by the Director of the Institute about 2 weeks before the beginning of the academic year.
2. Most of the students are financially supported by our scholarships. At present it amounts to 2050 PLN. The scholarship is increased to 2200 PLN when the PhD conferment procedure is started. The support depends, however, on the results of the qualification interview in the case of the first year students or on the achievements during the previous years of PhD studies.
3. The Institute owns a small hotel. Several rooms are available for PhD students. Reduced rates are applied.
Copyright C IFPAN 2011